Special Task Force for Upstream Oil and Gas Business Activities (SKK Migas) is an institution established by the Government of the Republic of Indonesia under Presidential Regulation Number 9 of 2013 on Management of Upstream Oil and Gas Business Activities. SKK Migas is assigned to manage the upstream oil and gas business activities under a Cooperation Contract. The establishment of this institution is purposed that the exploitation of the state’s oil and gas natural resources will be able to generate maximum benefits and revenue to the state for the greatest welfare of the people.
In performing those tasks, SKK Migas performs the following functions:
- to proffer inputs for consideration to the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources at its discretion in preparing and offering the bidding round of Working Areas and Cooperation Contract;
- to sign Cooperation Contracts;
- to review and submit the plan of field development to be the first production in a Working Area to Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources for obtaining approval;
- to grant an approval for the development plan other than as referred to in previous point;
- to grant an approval for the work programs and budget;
- to conduct monitoring and to make report to Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources on the performance of the Cooperation Contracts; and
- to appoint sellers of oil and/or gas of the state entitlement that may generate maximum profits to the state.